Monday, February 8, 2010

Questions 1-3 Made Me Chatty

After a very long break, during which I self-meditated on my cooking endeavor (briefly and sporadically) and pretty much just tried to keep up with my life, I am back! Now, I will finally sit down and dissect my mother’s survey to see what hidden meanings and/or insights I might acquire. I plan on taking this question-by-question in order to A) organize my thoughts and B) at least try to add some structure to the process. Okay, on to question one:

1. This question didn’t really give me much new information to go on that I don’t already know. (Her being my mom does add a slightly different advantage because I know her personally and now am able to analyze her answers objectively) I know, and can see daily, her love for cooking. Every time she makes a meal she fully commits herself to it. I can also vouch for her creativity in the kitchen. She seems to be making something new every week and in most cases, it turns out in her favor, or my whole families favor if you know what I mean…J I’ve never understood my mom’s connection and the true happiness she gets from cooking. I always thought it was just a mom thing, but it’s not. It’s just her and her weird love for creating delicious meals.

2. It’s sort of a tradition that every Sunday after dinner, my mom hauls out a piece of paper and we each tell her 2-3 meals we would like for the following week. I didn’t always want to cooperate during these little meetings because I thought: why should I need to know what I want to eat for the rest of the week? What if I change my mind? I mean, is spontaneity finally dead!? But now that I’ve seen the light, (or in less clichéd terms: realized the work that is put into shopping for and preparing a meal is much easier when planned ahead) I’ve come to respect the Sunday night meal planning. I mean, anything to make my mom’s life easier, seeing as she birthed me, clothed me, and of course fed me for the past 17 and a half years. This little insight to the very drawn-out process of cooking has made me realize just that: cooking isn’t a spontaneous thing. You need to decide what to make, get the ingredients, and then actually prepare the meal.

3. In my family, finding a meal that everyone likes isn’t something you come by often. The selective eater namely being my younger sister, Darbi. Going through phases like infant-meat-lover, nothing-but-sweets-for-me-girl, vegetarian-when-meat-I-don’t-like-is-being-served-kid, and of course my all-time favorite (and current phase) vegetarian-except-for-evey-unhealty-type-of-meat-namely-bacon-girl, it has never been easy for my mom to please everyone at the table and still keep it healthy. Despite these difficulties, my mom did it and continues to do it and I still don’t know how. If and when I cook for my family, it will be a big enough deal for me to just be COOKING let alone all of them liking it. Heaven forbid I birth a vegan or a kid who’s allergic to something dangerously common like peanut butter or the like, because if I do, I’ll be screwed.

That’s all I have time for tonight, but I plan on really starting to crank out some posts this week. I’ve got a lot of cooking revelations to share with you guys, (which I now realize is one or two random people who come across this, and eventually, Mr. Cronin when I turn it in). It just helps me write when I think it’s to people rather than just for me. Anyways, the rest of my reaction to my mom’s survey will be put up relatively soon. It is taking much, MUCH longer than I expected… but what can I do; I’m just a long winded writer.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment