Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A shock that shouldn't have been so shocking

Guess what?

I'm not good enough for Julia Child! How many of you were thinking that when you read my first post? Probably a good chunk of you, and you were right!

I just went to my local B&N (My nickname for Barnes&Noble, my second home) to purchase Julia's book. I was so excited, and didn't want to waste any time trying to search and search for her book so I asked a worker at the information booth. On the way over to the cooking section, I told them my plans for this project and how I was going to learn everything I could from Julia Child. It just so happens that the employee who was assisting me liked to cook. When I told her that I was going to try some of Julia's recipes, she pursed her lips and said, "Are you sure you want to start off with her?" I said "of course" very confidently. Then, more hesitantly asked why I wouldn't want to. She informed me how precise and complex Julia's recipes were. Sure enough, when I picked up the book (that weighed as much as a toddler, fed with all the delicious foods I wish to make) and opened it up to check out some recipes, I found that I was in WAY over my head. I put it down quickly, a little depressed that I couldn't study under such a extraordinary cook.

The sad thing is, I looked at a bunch of other cook books too, and know what? It turns out I'm not good enough for Martha Stewart (at her snootiest), or even Emeril! What a sad self degrading thought; that I am so bad at cooking that I have to start off with a generic, American recipes cook book. I know I said before that I'm bad, and that I would be starting off with the basics, but in my head I was imagining pot roast with mashed potatoes and seasoned green beans with a simple brownie and ice cream for dessert. Now, I know that that's not going to happen, at least, not any time soon.

Your melancholy cook-in-progress,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment